China dominated EV battery production in 2023


Europeans and Americans were not represented in Top 10 battery manufacturers.

All ten largest manufacturers of EV batteries last year were located in Asia and six of them were Chinese. A report by EV-Volumes says the Chinese producers of EV batteries dominated the industry by a margin of 57%, with Contemporary Amperex Technology Co. Ltd (CATL) and BYD Auto Co. Ltd accounting for as much as 40% of the total battery deployment and a combined 358,617 megawatt-hours.

More to read:
Electric and hybrid cars are more dangerous for pedestrians than vehicles running on fossil fuel

CATL’s and BYD’s market share stood at 34% and 16%, respectively.

Image: VisualCapitalist

LG Energy Solution from South Korea was the third largest with 15% of the market and 108,487 MWh. Other major Korean manufacturers in the Top 10 are SK On and Samsung SDI. Japan’s Panasonic is on the fourth position.

More to read:
The longest range electric vehicles in 2023

The ten largest manufacturers of EV batteries accounted for more 92% of MWh in 2023, the remaining producers claiming a share of just 8% or 56,040 MWh.

Overall, the global EV battery market size is projected to grow from $49 billion in 2022 to $98 billion by 2029, according to the business analytical consultancy Fortune Business Insights.

***
NewsCafe is an independent outlet that cares about big issues. Our sources of income amount to ads and donations from readers. You can support us via PayPal: office[at]rudeana.com or paypal.me/newscafeeu. We promise to reward this gesture with more captivating and important topics.